CCRL, a subsidiary of Federated Co-operated Limited, owns and operates this petroleum fuels refinery. The refinery began operations in 1935. A major increase in the complexity of the refinery occurred in 1988 with the integration of heavy oil upgrading units into the refinery process. In 2003 CCRL completed a significant expansion to increase diesel production. In 2007 CCRL purchased the Province of Saskatchewan’s share of the upgrading units and the facility is now 100% CCRL-owned.
The majority of the 100,000 b/d facility's output is gasoline and diesel fuel. A light synthetic crude oil and other by-products are also produced.
Mustang Engineering's Automation and Control business unit is providing detailed design, configuration, staging, and integration of the process control system for the five new process units and supporting utilities.
The CCRL refinery is adding approximately 30,000 b/d processing capacity, primarily to increase its output of gasoline. The expansion includes a grassroots fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) section, new storage facilities, and the revamp of several existing refinery process units and utility systems.
IAG is serving as the program managers for the grassroots units and new offsites with engineering provided by Mustang Engineering; Colt Worley Parsons is providing engineering, procurement, and construction management services for the revamped units.
This expansion, which is scheduled to conclude in 2012, will be CCRL's second large expansion this decade.